WOW, this episode is packed full of root-cause related information that I hope will inspire you. I brought Dr. Navaz Habib to talk about this one specific nerve that controls and regulates so many functions of the body.
If you or someone you love suffers with IBS, obesity and weight gain, chronic fatigue, depression irregular heartbeat, ulcers, weight loss, gastroparesis, chronic inflammation, epilepsy, high blood pressure, diabetes, trouble urinating, fertility problems, sexual pleasure, anxiety, heart disease cancer, poor circulation, leaky gut, Alzheimer’s, memory and mood issues, migraines headaches, fibromyalgia, tinnitus, addictions, or any autoimmune conditions… I highly recommend listening to this podcast about our vagus nerve.
(Yes, THAT many manifestations + more)
The sheer amount of diseases and symptoms in the parts of this body that this nerve innervates is a testament to how important it is to maintain your health.
This episode with Dr. Navaz Habib will teach you about the vagus nerve and how it is truly the root of so many of our issues and one of the biggest underutilized discussions in Western medicine. Dr. Habib and I discussed how we can stimulate our vagus nerve to ensure that this nerve is functioning optimally.
(Also, listen for information about a FREE GIVEAWAY for a highly helpful essential oil blend.)
In this episode
- • How living in fight or flight hurts your brain and body
- • Where “sympathetic” 24/7 is NOT a good thing
- • How our vagus nerve connects with our immune system in riding our body of toxins
- • Learn how easy it is to improve your vagal tone with simple exercises
The function that it imparts is extensive.
•In the brain itself, it helps control anxiety and mood.
•In the gut, it increases stomach acidity, gut flow/motility and other digestive enzyme production.
Low stomach acid is a major source of gut-related health conditions so an underactive vagus nerve is correlated to the root cause of many health conditions.
• In the heart, it controls heart rate variability, heart rate and blood pressure.
• In the pancreas it controls blood sugar balance and digestive enzymes.
• In the liver it controls bile production and detoxification through hepatic phase 1 and phase 2 conjugation.
• In the gallbladder it controls bile release to help break down fats.
• In the kidneys, it promotes general function including water balance, glucose control and sodium excretion which helps control blood pressure.
• In the bladder it controls voiding of urine.
• In the spleen it helps to reduce inflammation.
• In the sex organs it helps to control fertility and sexual pleasure including orgasms.
• In the mouth and tongue, it helps to control ability to taste and saliva production through salivary gland control.
• In the eyes, it activates tear production through the lacrimal glands.
Vagus nerve stimulation has the potential to help those suffering from various health conditions, including but certainly not limited to anxiety disorders, heart disease, some forms of cancer, poor circulation, leaky gut syndrome, alzheimer’s, memory and mood disorders, migraines and headaches, fibromyalgia, obesity, tinnitus, addiction, autism and autoimmune conditions.
Dr. Habib’s book “Activate Your Vagus Nerve” is a simple to follow guide to help you identify and address a major missing piece in patients dealing with chronic health concerns such as anxiety and depression.
Here are the top 10 related disorders:
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
• Obesity and weight gain
• Chronic fatigue
• Irregular heartbeat; too slow or fast
• Ulcers, Stomach acid issues and/or H. pylori
• Weight loss
• Chronic inflammation
But how does this pertain to my hormones?
In the immune system we have 70% of our immune cells by volume located in the lining of the gut in what’s called “gut associated lymphoid tissue”. What happens is we either have foods that can trigger leaky gut, aka intestinal hyperpermeability, or we have bacteria that are backed up or or dysbiotic within an hour but are going to break down the gut lining and trigger an immune response. When that happens, we are overburdening our liver with toxins that need to be immediately or as quickly as possible eliminated from our body, and we’re increasing toxic burden. The liver plays a major role in control of nearly everything, all of the hormones, all of the blood sugar balance, all of the things that come into the body essentially need to go through the liver first and need to be controlled through the liver.
Parasympathetic Oil Blend
This episode of Cleanse, Heal, Ignite includes a FREE GIFT to the lucky winner who leaves a review for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which is a solution I hand picked to help you optimize your Vagal tone.
The Parasympathetic® essential oil blend is the missing link that has helped thousands bring their health back into balance and eliminate unwanted health symptoms like fatigue, depression, anxiety, migraines, inflammation, and extra weight.
By making it part of your wellness ritual, you can…
• Enhance your body’s ability to purge harmful toxins
• Eliminate digestive issues
• Boost nutrient assimilation & absorption
• Sharpen memory and focus
• Clear up paralyzing brain fog
• Calm the fires of inflammation
• And melt away anxiety & depression
All you have to do is massage a small drop behind your earlobe to ignite your parasympathetic state – as you’ll learn in this episode this is where all of the healing and health maintenance processes occur.
There are 2 ways to get your hands on this magical oil:
• Enter to win by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts
• Visit here to grab your own bottle now.
“Many chronic illnesses are multifactorial, there is not a single positive event with symptoms and signs that happen afterwards. Finding a specific diagnosis is the reason why the ICD-10 codes are now up to 20,000. It’s like if we say, “Okay you’ve got acid reflux, we’ll give you a proton pump inhibitor.” What you’re doing is saying that the only way that this possibly could have happened is because you have too much stomach acid. You’re not asking the question “why is there too much stomach acid?” [22:55]
“When going to a parasympathetic state what’s actually happening is our blood flow increases to the prefrontal cortex or ability to learn and think and be in that conscious state. By being told to not question something we’re actually saying stop using your prefrontal cortex sending the blood just to the lizard brain to the survival centers would put you in your sympathetic zone all the time.” [27:40]
“We cannot recover when we’re under stress, where you send blood flow is where you send function. If we are under stress and under that sympathetic system, blood flows to the muscles of the arms and the legs so we can either run away or fight against whatever the threat is that we feel is coming towards us.” [34:30]
“70 to 80% of us are in sympathetic mode 70 to 80% of the time and that’s where the problem lies. It’s supposed to be almost the exact opposite that we should only be in sympathetic mode about 10 to 30% of the time at absolute maximum.” [36:25]
Dr. Habib’s book “Activate Your Vagus Nerve”